Sunday, December 19, 2010

Group of Ladies Trail Ride

Today Kellie, Lee Anne P, Lee Anne B, Krystina, a little friend of hers (can't remember the little girl's name), Susan, Julia and I all went riding at Tyrrell Park. 

I started my day off by hauling my Brenderup to the carwash and I scrubbed it the best I could.  My arms get tired holding them up that high.  I had the step stool and that helped.  I couldn't get the very top - it is too high.  I sprayed out the poop in the back of the trailer but didn't clean the inside as Kellie's saddle was in the tack closet and some water leaks a little when I spray the inside.  I washed the Rav, too, while I was at it!   So I looked pretty darn nice hauling down the road. 

I hauled out to the barn and the Lee Anns and Julia were getting their horses ready.   Lee Anne P lunged Legatto and man can she haul hinney round and round snorting like a freight train.  Sue showed up and I had to back her trailer up for her.  If I do say so myself, I can move trailers pretty good now!

I had hauled to the back and loaded up Biscuit.  He gave me a little flack and I had to walk up in the trailer with him.  What a toot.  I got him some hay and he was happy to munch while I waited for the others.  Sue and I finally left and the others followed.  I was riding in Kellie's Circle Y.  I saddled Biscuit up and got on, stirrups do turn in the Softee Leather but not enough for my knees.  I got off and put the Crooked Stirrups on and that felt 100% better.  Saddle was comfy but it didn't really fit Biscuit.  It is too tight at the conchos like my Billy Cook was on Red.  Krystina is riding in my replacement Billy Cook and she LOVES it.  It is a pretty saddle.

I gave my friend Elan several treats.  He just loves a good treat and was standing so patiently waiting for one.  I was moving Kellie's stirrup for her and he was bending around looking for a treat!  What a pill he is!!!

We finally took off and did an S shaped ride through the woods to let Legatto settle in and settle down.  The out on the levee.  Woot!  What a beautiful day.  We rode over the bridge and straight down past the land bridge and all the way to Hildabrandt Bayou.  I rode first with Kellie and then in the middle with Lee Ann P.  We had such a good time! 

On the ride back, we weren't too far from the Bayou when I noticed Biscuit moving over closer and closer to Elan and then I heard a hog snort and we could see them rustling around on the other side of the little creek thingy.  Both Elan and Biscuit stopped and were super alert and all the horses were then on alert.  LOL Off we went...no wonder he was up in Elan's KoolAid!  We got all the way to where you either go to the shell road or straight down the canal and all of the horses refused to go!  Kellie had seen hog droppings up there so we think there was a hog up ahead or had recently been there and they are not hog hunting horses!  We went down the shell road til we could turn into the woods.  Biscuit was leading and Elan was up his tail which is unusual for him.  He and Biscuit are buddies.  Biscuit kinda startled and ears were up - to our right up ahead was a opossum climbing up a tree!  We saw so many kinds of birds today - pretty green finches, cardinals, a blue crane type bird, a huge hawk.  Such a pretty ride!

We got back to the trailer and my blue jean shirt was tied around my waist and had came off and I dropped the reins to grab in and was trying to grab the sleeves and all of a sudden Biscuit startled and took off!  I grabbed the reins and stopped him.   I realized I had spooked him with the shirt.  He gets upset if something "gets" him from behind.  Bless his heart. 

I took his tack off, put the regular stirrups back on Kellie's saddle and put her saddle in her trailer.  I then picked up Biscuit's feet.  He did a good job.  His back left one he wanted to take back but I wouldn't allow that.  He did a great job and got his treats.  He loaded up easily.  We stood around and chatted and then I hauled to Kellie's to pick up his poop from his trip over there last week.  He is a pooping machine.  OMG how can one horse poop that many times in a 14 hour time frame?

I hauled back to the barn and unloaded him and put him up.  Sarge looked like he'd been rode hard and put up wet!  I hugged him up before I left. 

Lee Ann B and I may ride tomorrow.  I am on vacation still!  I have to Christmas shop some and then I can go ride out at the ranch.

No comments: