Monday, December 6, 2010

Biscuit gets a serious workout

I got out to the barn around 2:00.  The Lee Ann's were riding in the back and I brought Biscuit up to the front.  He let me pick up his feet fairly easily and clean then.  He is getting to be such a good boy.  Of course, he gets an apple/oat treat EVERY time I pick up a hoof. 

I asked Lee Anne for help with lunging him.  We put her snaffle bridle on him, the lunge tape, surcingle was put on (he flinched big time because I was at his head and I don't think he knew what happened!) and into the ring she went.  She asked him to move out slowly in a small circle and increased it.  Then to the trot.  She tried and tried to get the canter and ask me to get my buggy whip.  We were both popping the whips at him and into the canter/gallop he went.  He trots HUGE and finally goes into a canter/gallop but doesn't hold it steady.  We worked with him.  I got on the back on the ring and was keeping him going...Lee Anne B. was twirling the lead rope in one corner...poor guy was being ran by three very determined ladies. 

She had him going both ways with voice commands so he could learn them.  He learns quickly.  I finally got in the ring under her direction and was walking/trotting him.  He was soaking wet from head to tail. 

His front left hoof looks like an abscess may have blown out there.  It seems a little tender.  He is such a good boy but like Lee Ann said he has been treated roughly.  She stopped him and went towards him and he was standing there trembling.  She hugged him up.  She is firm but fair with them.  I told her why would anyone have mistreated/roughly treated that horse.  He has such a sweet nature.

I brushed him a little and walked him down to his paddock....training as we went.  Whoa....back up... walk....whoa...back up....walk all the way to the paddock.  A few treats on the way to sweeten the walk.

I talked to Kellie about him.  She said that she had trail rode with this horse in the group for 3 years and she never saw him misbehave.  She said that after Kenny gotten him back from Mr. Joseph that Randy rode him and Randy said it was sad that he had had all the personality squished out of him and he was like "dead".  Poor guy....I think he is learning that I am not there to hurt him but to train him and give him treats.  That makes me sad to hear that.  I am going to hug him up tomorrow before we start the lunging.  I am going to try to lunge him every day or ride him every day so that he gets his balance and builds his muscles up. 

LOL Lee Ann P said to call him Limp Bizkit after the band...I told her maybe Sea Biscuit but that limp anything wasn't good!!!!

No comments: