Thursday, December 16, 2010

I came OFF of my horse!

I went out to the barn today and brought The Biscuit up.  I groomed him and he cocks up his back feet for me to pick up and is getting really good about picking up his front feet.  Treats for him.  I brushed his hair and put the snaffle headstall and lunge line on him and we went into the area.  I worked him going both ways and he did an amazing job!  He is getting so much better each and every time.

I saddled him and put my bridle on him.  I mounted in the arena and went out of the arena and down the road.  He was doing the wind up number until I turned him in a circle.  He settled down and we went down the road and I chose to go in the grass just in case there was a problem...grass is softer than road.

We got down to the last two pastures and I could see Snippy looking over the top of his shelter wall.  Elmer and Spirit were facing the way we were going.  I had a good hold and was alert because Snippy is an idiot.

All of a sudden that fool exploded out of his shelter towards us, Elmer and Spirit turned and ran and so did Biscuit.  OMG he did such a quick roll back and I came off and plopped on the ground.  He ran a little ways to the end of that pasture and crossed to road to Sarge.  I got up, amazed that I wasn't scared and freaking out.  I walked over to him, he wasn't freaking out, eyes weren't rolling, nostrils weren't flaired, he wasn't scooting backwards.  I lead him to the ditch, pulled him into it a few inches and mounted easily.  We walked back to the barn.

I wasn't scared.  That was amazing to me.  I have always said if I came off a horse I was afraid I wouldn't get back on.  I did.  I am riding Saturday and Sunday.  Woot!

I don't think this would have happened at Tyrrell.  I think he thought the horses were fleeing from something and he wasn't going to get caught by whatever it was!  He looked at me like "couldn't you hang with me sister?"  He can turn on a dime. 

I took his tack off and he more than happily picked up his feet for me.  Good boy. 

So it was a Red Letter Day for me.  I came off, I got back on and am not scared!

No comments: