Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Flies Galore

Kade went to the barn with me today.  His dad picked him up right when we got Biscuit up to the front.  I tacked Biscuit up by the tack room and mounted up in the arena.  Right as soon as I got on, Ms. Jean's grandson and another kid put something in the dumpster and slammed the door on it.  Biscuit started but that goodness he didn't take off.  I went half way around the arena and realized I had his reins crossed under his chin.  DUH.   I dismounted and redid his reins and remounted.  I noticed the flies were bad.  We started riding and the flies were all over the place and obviously bothering him.  He kept biting at his chest and shaking his head.   We did work on side passing, backing up and turning on the haunches.  He did well but was being a jerk because of the flies.  They were awful.  We rode about 45 minutes.  When I got off I could see why he was so pissy.  They were ALL over his legs, chest and girth area.  Those nasty little black biting flies.  Poor guy.  I took his tack off and rinsed him off.  I worked on desensitizing him to spraying his head.  He is getting so good about it.  Still got a long way to go but getting better.  I sprayed him with Deep Woods Off.  He was shining like gold when I returned him to his paddock!!!

The ride was not a fun one but he did get worked and that is important!!

No comments: