Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Red throws and shoe and Barry comes off too!

Barry and I went out to the stables so he could ride. I was cooking soup so dinner was on and ready. We went out and saddled Red up and I walked with Barry down the road. He wanted Red to get into water and at first Red was side stepping and not too interested in getting his tootsie's wet. But...Barry has spurs. In Red went. And again. He still has his shoe on as you can see in the right picture on the bottom. We go down the road almost to the end. Barry is way ahead of me. About one paddock width. I look up and Red is facing me but startling like a deer and going sideways. Barry whipped sideways with him but then was suspended in air and off he came. Down on his feet and he fell sideways. Red kinda looked surprised and then took off towards me. I was saying whoa boy. easy...steady... yeah right he ran past me with reins flapping in the wind and I was hoping he would stop before he stepped on a rein and flipped himself.

I went to Barry and hugged him up. He was fine but I was not too thrilled to see him come off the horse. I called Krystina to tell her not to worry about Red being up there (he was almost back to the barn!) and she came out and snagged him.

That is when we realized he lost a shoe. UGH! LOST A SHOE AGAIN!

We walked back to the back - Barry thought he stumbled in a hole. We did find a hole but I didn't think that was it. He looked like he was shying away from something. We walked further back and found the place where hooves tore up the ground but not much. Barry said he felt like he sank in a hole but I didn't see anything that made me think that. Red's back left hoof has a little turned up lip now and he seemed a little gimpy on the front right but that is probably because he threw the shoe and was walking on the hard parts of the road. Didn't notice gimp in the grass.

Barry got back on him and rode him back up the road. Red was very well behaved. I don't know what he startled at but it was something. I do know know if I come off of him he is going to run like a spotted ape. Woo Hoo

I have to call Reagan tomorrow to come put his shoe back on. Sigh......

No comments: