Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Floating Teeth, Drunk Horses & Clydesdales

I got up this morning, hooked up the trailer, hauled out to the barn and got feed and then down to the pasture.  The boys were easy to catch!  They were hungry!  Sarge just self loads like a little doll and so does Nick.  I hauled them to Dr. Schneiter's and he said to put them in a paddock out back and unhitch the trailer in the back.  Doc is truly a very nice person.

There was a big beautiful Budweiser Clydesdale in the round pen!  He was hooked up to IV drips.  He had bad diarrhea since Friday...so I think I am glad they didn't come stay out at the ranch as planned!  I put the boys out in the paddock and left.  I had to go home and then to work.

I looked for lace up boots at lunch but wasn't successful.  I will have to order some I think.  My instep on my right foot has been swelled and hurting for days.








I left work at 5:00 PM and headed for Doc's.  I took more pics of the Clydesdale and petted his nose.  He is better and should be leaving tomorrow.  I brought the boys into the barn and we started with Sarge.  I had him look at Sarge's teeth.  Sarge doesn't like ANYONE looking in his mouth.  Doc is fearless though and calm as can be.  Sarge got his mouth looked at whether he liked it or not.  He said he had hooks so I put Nick in a stall and put Sarge in the stock.  Doc gave him a tranquilizer and he was in zooloo land.  Doc said he had lots of hooks on the back and that his teeth were "soft".  That maybe why he tosses his head...his teeth may be very sensitive poor baby.  I held his head while he was floated.  His little stubs of canine teeth were scaly with plaque and Doc got an instrument to strip the plaque off. When Doc was through I walked him out and he was dragging his back hooves and he was swaying some.  Poor guy.  I put him in a stall and Doc gave him a rabies shot and he was just standing there with his head down! 

I got Nick out and put him in the stock.  Doc gave him a tranq and the rabies so fast and quick I didn't even SEE him do it and I was watching him!  LOL  I told Doc all that money on his education paid off!  We got the speculum in Nick's mouth and Doc checked them out.  Lots of hooks and crooks and Doc started filing away.  He had to get a tool to snap off some of the bigger peaks.  Poor old Nick's mouth was bleeding and I felt sorry for him but he is going to feel so much better.  Doc got through and quickly and efficiently tube wormed him.  He thought he looked wormy too.  Doc showed me how to tie the halter and I took a picture this time.  LOL  He said "Put his halter on him...this is a test".  LOL  I passed but may forget by tomorrow.  I walked him out of the stock and he was dragging his feet too.  Doc said to load them up.  Poor guy was just standing by the ramp and I got in the trailer to "pull" him in.   Doc's dog spooked him and I fussed at the dog and he took off.  Nick loaded up quietly poor baby.  I got Sarge out and he, too, loaded quietly and just walked up the ramp and stood quietly.

I paid Doc $251 which wasn't bad for 2 floats, 2 rabies and a tube worming.  He gave me copies of records when he gelded "Blaze" who is now Nick and an old Coggins and shot record.  We may go to floating Sarge every 6 months.  He said his teeth were soft.  Poor guy.  I drove to Plum Nearly very slowly so not to cause one of them to fall in the trailer.  By the time we got to Plum Nearly they were not near as drugged as when they went in.  I am sure the cool air blowing on them helped wake them up.  I put them in the arena with no supper.  I didn't want them to choke on their food.  I will go in the morning and walk them down to the pasture and turn them out.  Last time we had Sarge's teeth floated he was in zooloo land for 4 days.  Dr. Sherwood had to sedate him twice so he was pretty loopy and I think in pain - he couldn't really even eat well for days. 

I will monitor their behavior tomorrow and have Lee Anne check on my boys.

No comments: