Thursday, November 18, 2010

Repaired the tire and rode Nick

Yesterday I took the tire to be repaired and they patched it for $20.   I took mom out to see Nick and she thought he was pretty.  I can see he has gained weight even since Sunday!  Bless his little heart.  I went out in the pasture with the lead rope behind me and gave him some treats.  I walked him up to the front so Mom could take a look at him.  I turned him loose and he started walking and then broke into a little lope.  I haven't seen him move really and he looked terrific from behind!  I took mom home and later went back and got him and brought him up to the front and groomed him.  More treats.

He let me pick up his front right hoof and pick it.  OMG it has the funk.  Nasty smell.  I went and got my stuff that Dr. Sherwood made for Red and he let me put it in his hoof.  I got him to let me pick up the back - not high but enough I was able to pick them.  Front left was a wash.  I got him to pick it up twice but he was insistent on putting it down so wasn't able to pick it.  I tacked him up and went into the arena.  He didn't want to stand still so I stood him next to the hotwalker and got on.  220 221 whatever it takes.

We walked/trotted/worked on not going before asked.  When I got on he wanted to GO.  I had to make him stand still.  We worked on circles and backing up.  He will do a tiny sidepass to one side but he isn't very good at it!!  He kept wanting to speed up but he listens.  I rode with spurs.  Once he stopped and didn't want to go but spurs changed his mind.  I was very careful with them though.

I got off and brushed him some more - picked up that front right and picked it out and put more stuff in it.  I will take that stuff with me this weekend and keep putting in his foot.  I might pick up some turpentine at work for that too.  I do have Coppertox also.  I walked him back down and waited til Jaimie came and fed them.  I got the Weight On stuff and he had it in his food today.  Hoping to put some weight on for the winter as quick as possible but this is the only supplement I will be buying for him.

I went out to the barn today when I got off of work.  Nick came in from the center of the pasture and I handed him two treats - one at a time and rubbed his face.  Sarge came up and Nick moved as befitting number two on the totem pole!  I hugged Sarge up and gave him a treat...Barry wasn't there to say no...so I sneaked him a little treat!!

No comments: