Sunday, November 14, 2010

Riding Tyrrell Park was an adventure!!!


Barry, Kellie, Susan and I rode at Tyrrell Park today.  We met at 10:50 at the clubhouse and saddled up and away we went.  We went in the woods and rode 1/2 the woods and came out on the gravel road and rode to the canal and crossed the bridge.  Sababba got scared and stopped at the crack and turned around and went back.  Nick crossed quietly but was cripping over some of the rocks.

Sababba came on across and "jumped" the cracks.  We went down past the water pipe and all the way down past where I had rode before.  We rode for several miles - the horses heard hogs rustling and all were perked up looking and on alert!  We caught the butt ends of some hogs but didn't get a good look at them.  We went all the way to the back where it dead ended at Hildebrandt Bayou.  Kellie said there used to be a trail to the left but Hurricane Rita downed tons of trees.  Barry and Sarge went up there but it wasn't a usable trail.  We came back the way we came trotting fast for quiet a bit.  We crossed the canal and went all the way around past where I had been before.  What a pretty ride!  Down the canal we went, heavy vegetation all around and Kellie told me about an alligator that surprised them one time and the horses did a 180 turn when it rolled into the water and startled them.  We rode down a "road" that was really two tracks and I saw a coyote cross the road!!!  We kept going til we got to the bayou and took a right and went over a old cement bridge.  We got to a place that was way overgrown but Kellie said they used to ride back there so she led the way through brush that was thick as could be.    We went up and down some hills and came to a downed tree.  Elan refused to go...I asked Nick and he said ugghhh not at this time sister.  We called in Barry and Sarge and Sarge tried going over and pulled back and seemed stuck and tried and and pulled back and I thought he was going to fall over!  LOL then he went and was fine.  I asked Nick and he refused and I kept asking and he went over it and then leaped with his butt and we went off the the side and then righted up!  LOL  I was almost unseated but I held my seat!  Woot.  The other horses kinda leaped too.  Barry led the way though this super tall stuff til we finally came to a dead end...too much downed vegetation.  There used to be a trail and hopefully one day we can get that back open because I bet it is a great ride.  We turned around and came back and Nick kinda leaped it again but I was ready for it.  We went back and crossed the land bridge and then went under the big bridge and pipe line and down the ride away.  We came to a little low wet spot and Sarge LEAPED it like a hunter.  I walked Nick across a  drier spot.

We went all the way down to the bayou and the footing was choppy and bad.  Nick was starting to trip and stumble.  I think he was getting tired.  We got to the bayou and I thought my saddle had slipped back so I got off and that is when I found out how unlevel the ground was.  I reset my saddle and took him to a low spot and got on.  It was a struggle as I had put Cowboy Magic on his mane and my hands were slipping!

We came back up that way and all of the horses were tripping on the rough ground.  We came over the bridge and they said Nick had rocks in his hooves but he was leading and that is a good thing.  I got off of him and it took both Barry and I to pick his hooves.  He is not too wild about it but he is learning.  We trotted back down the canal and Barry and Kellie cantered some.  Nick was cripping on the rocks coming back down the rock trail (used to be a road I suppose).  I got him back to the trailer and he was between them and stopped.  I would have had to dismount in a pile of poo so I asked him to move and he just stood there.  I kicked and urged him forward.  Nothing.  I hollered at him to move his butt NOW and he did.  LOL  Maybe I need to raise my voice!

I brushed him and gave him a treat and gave a treat to My Gorilla Boy Elan and to Sababba.  Poor Sarge gets no treats.  Later, Kellie started feeling really weak and bad.  Barry went to the golf clubhouse and got her a Poweraide and candy bars.  I drove her home.  Randy had all of the gates up and the goats and horses in the new pasture!  Woot!!!

Kellie was feeling a little better.  I talked to her later and she was better.  We are planning our trip for next weekend and I can't wait.  I had such a good time today.

No comments: