Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Treats for Nick and Pickin' up those Feet

I hauled the trailer to PNR with the thought of hauling Nick to Tyrrell Park...it was misting rain...starting a light rain.  I got to PNR and Lee Anne P was in the arena riding MiTie.  I walked down to get Nick with some apple oat treats I bought yesterday.  I gave a treat to Sarge...he LOVES treats but Barry doesn't like him to have them.  Nick got a treat also...he thinks they are wonderful!

I walked Nick back holding my umbrella but he didn't even take notice of it.  He was wet so I brushed him and combed his mane.  I tacked him up and went into the arena.  He didn't want to stand still but finally he did and I mounted and we walked around the arena going in both directions.  He is doing a good job but he does want to go faster and not listen sometimes but I made him listen to me.  A few times he stopped and refused to move.  A few kicks - nothing.  We just stood there until he went forward.  I wasn't going to back him up turn him....no.  Stand there until he changed his mind!  We went round and round, back and forth and he was wanting to go where he wanted but we went where I wanted!  Lee Anne said his bit is too low in his mouth so I will burn more holes in his headstall. 

He will turn on his haunches to the left but not well to the right.  He doesn't turn on the forequarters or side pass so we will be working on those issues.  He stood quietly while I talked to Lee Anne P.  Lee Anne B. arrived and we all chatted and he stood quietly.  Once when I was in the arena by myself he gave me a little guff but settled down and did as I asked.  I dismounted and put him on the wash rack and brushed took his tack off.  I brushed him all over and he got a few treats and a few handfulls of hay.  I worked at picking up his hooves.  He was resistant but I praised him for little improvements and gave him treats.  He picked those hooves up then.  Lee Anne B. picked up his back hooves.  Just briefly but he did a good job.  He is very smart and willing to learn. 

I am off tomorrow and plan on riding at Tyrrell if possible.  Hope we don't have any rain!

No comments: