Monday, November 22, 2010

Wonderful Weekend riding with friends and family






Barry and I met Kellie and Randy at Petro in Beaumont at 6:00 AM Saturday morning and were off and running for a terrific weekend of riding.  I gave Kellie the hat I got her for her birthday and we were full of BLING BLING!  We got to the Southtrail at the Bush International Airport and unloaded the horses.  Later Barry and I went with Justin and Judit to get out badges.  Barry got his, I didn't get one - I didn't have the proper ID.

Back to riding - we saddled up and off we went...Kellie and I with our matching style Bling Bling hats.  We went though woods and I was riding with Kenny.  He is pretty sure he is going to be able to secure the Tyrrell Park Stable for the CC!  That is terrific so we were talking about doing stuff with that.  Then we made it out onto a ride away.  Lots of gated horses and lots of people running around and it was getting the horses pretty excited.  We were going down a straightway edged by the woods and Kellie and I started cantering.  Nick The Other Horse was speeding up and goes from 0 to 5 on the dial.  There is no 1, 2, 3, 4 on his register.  I slowed him down but he was still raring to go and shaking his head.  I nudged him a to get him back into a trot and he wants to FIRE off instead of going smooth.  It will take some work!  A little later he was still really hot to trot so to speak and I needed to go over a big lump - not a hill a lump and I didn't want him to jump it so I got off.  Esther said to just go with it but he needed to calm down.  He was shaking his head back and forth and just all hyped up.  I let everyone go by and was trying to calm him down and he finally got a pop on the side of the mouth with a stern STOP IT.  I walked him a ways and everyone by this time was out of site.  I walked him til I found a low spot to put him in.  I tried to mount and the saddle slipped.  I tightened my girth and considered the possibility of not being able to get on!  I tried again holding those reins and was able to mount and he was trying to move out before I got my other foot in the stirrup.  He was ready to MOVE and was still fighting me and tossing his head.  I was trying to follow where everyone else had gone...went back down a wrong trail and circled back to where I was and then kept going.  It took about 15 minutes of walking to calm him down.  Went through some muddy patches.  Came to a very wide cut ride away and went west on it towards the airport as I knew that is where the camp was and if Barry was looking for me I'd be easier to spot!  The Other Horse and I trotted down some of the ride away and he was calm by them.  LOL  Randy said I can't name him Nick Nolte as NN is a freakazoid which I think Randy is full of bull.  Anyway, I finally made it back to camp and it was a good ride for me for the most part.  I didn't let the horse get the best of me, I did what was right for me no matter who thought I should do something different and TOH and I made it back just fine.

We ate the catered lunch from The Boston Market.  The RR riders there were Kenny, Kellie, Randy, Susan and Esther.  It was a nice enough lunch - not great but ok.  Company was great.

I had to clean TOH up several times.  When we first got there he had feces all over his back end and he is cream colored.  Thank God Kellie had a pack of Baby Wipes.  I will have to buy stock in that if I am going to have a palomino.  Randy was standing over there taking pictures of me wiping Nick's butt.  LOL  Randy is such a pill.  On the morning ride Elan threw a shoe and Kellie said she'd have to go back as Elan has to have shoes because of his hoof wall issue.  She called Casey Schneiter about him shoeing him on the way home.  Casey said just pull the other shoe...he will be just fine for a walking ride so Randy pulled his other shoe.

We saddled up but didn't go out with the large group.  Wow...too many wild horse with too many people not controlling them.  We went down a different trail and this guy was having trouble controlling this horse and said he was nervous and I told him I understood.  Poor guy!  Later we became friends and he is riding to spend time with his little teenage daughter.  He lost his wife recently to cancer - how sad and what a guy!  I told him to get a horse that he could easily control and go for it.  We eventually split into two groups and we were riding all over.  Eventually back to a ride away on the side that backs up to the airport and sloped down to a huge drainage ditch.  Some people were cantering and Kellie and Esther were up ahead and Barry was cantering up ahead and I was riding with Randy for the most part.  We were yakking and then I went up a head at a little trot and then turned around to see where Randy was and Jamie and her friend Pattie were cantering on the higher part towards me but there was a concrete run out there and they both veered to the right - right towards Randy and Jamie went on one side and Pattie crashed her horse right into Regan's butt.  Thank God she didn't knock him over.  I yelled "are you ok Randy?" and went to him but he was fine but I thought that was BS.  She apologized up and down but that doesn't help if you cause a crash!  Everyone needs to be safe for themselves and others.  Kellie almost had a cow when she found out.

We were riding along and Randy said Nick had poo on his butt - He has said this much earlier and there was green poop looking stuff on his butt - OMG how does this horse do that?  I accused Randy of spitting dip on him.  I told Randy to get it off and he wiped it on my pants GGGAAAAAAGGGGG.  I think it was slobbery grass from Regan actually.  Randy was laughing fit to died.  We finished the ride and had a great time.   I had Nick tied up to the trailer and this older man (like around late 70's) came up and patted him and untied him and said someone had told him to come get the palomino!  LOL  that was hilarious.  I told him that "well, this little fellow is mine so I think they were talking about the other little palomino!"  LOL He about had a cow!  He said he was so sorry and was just doing what he was told and that they still hung horse thieves in Texas.  That was hilarious.

We finally loaded up and headed for the barn we were going to stable overnight at.  What a nice place!!!!  We really liked Cowboy City.  The man that owns it Mike Wall and his wife were so nice!  We all went out to eat at Chili's...Jamie, her son, Chris (the widower) and his daughter, the Wall's, Esther, Kellie, Randy, Barry and I.  Barry and I went on to the hotel and he took a bath...Kellie texted and said to come back as everyone was visiting.  We went back and sat out and visited with Mike and he was such a nice guy.  He looked at Nick's teeth and he thinks he is only 5 or 6.  I am guessing 6 then.  He said this notch in their teeth appears all the way to the bottom when they are 10 and it is only 1/2 way.  I don't know what to think.  Mr. Lavergne with the stallion said the only horse he bred for Allen Root was bred in 2000.  I don't know....I will ask Doc and see what he says.

We had a wonderful visit with Mike.  He trains his own cutting horses and he and Barry decided to ride early Sunday before Mike left for Brenham to a show.  We finally went back to the hotel and I went to sleep.  I was tired.

Sunday morning we were up and at 'em and back at the barn.  Mike gave us all wonderful religious hats - mine says God the Father in the typeface of The Godfather and then says Creator of Heaven and Earth!  Woot!  Love it.  Barry's said "Frog" fully rely on God.  It is so cute!  Mike rode his 125k reining horse Jazzy who is a stunning grey dapple (my absolute favorite colored horse!) stallion with a black mane and tail.  He was cutting little calves and Sarge was in his element.  Mike asked to ride Sarge and Barry got on Jazzy.  Jazzy is one well behaved stallion.  He was standing right next to Sarge and didn't turn a hair.  Good boy!  Mike said Sarge didn't like his bit and changed it to a low port with short shanks.  He said the bit Barry was using was his least favorite.  He worked with Sarge on his spin as Sarge is not in practice anymore to do that.  He said with some work Sarge would be good.  Barry had a great time and Sarge was a little ball of sweat.

Mike invited us back for December and we will be going.  We finally loaded up and headed for Cypress Creek.  We got there and the Lee Anne's had arrived - they were slowed down by heavy fog at home.  Julia was with them and she was so excited.  We finally were off!  Wow wee Cypress Creek is amazing.  Fabulous Fabulous Fabulous.  Deep cut trails in some places, steep drop offs to the creek, winding trails through the woods.  Nick did a great job and was a little calmer today.  We did get out on a ride away so Esther could canter and Nick was having a fit when we stopped and shaking that head and not wanting to stop.  I made him stop and behave.  Later I trotted with Kellie and he was wanting to speed up and I was half halting him - he really has been gassed up and that will take some work to stop that nonsense because I don't want a gassed up horse!  We rode all through the woods and it was really a very nice ride.  Kellie and I want to go back and are looking forward to riding there in December.  We finally got back to the trailer and I took the boys and Barry and I washed them off.  They were disgusting.  We paid $10 for the trailer parking and then sat down with everyone and had tuna fish sandwiches that Kellie made.  LOL  Barry would have NEVER ate tuna fish sandwiches if I had made them.  They were great and it was just a fabulous day.  The Lee Anne's and Julia were staying for another ride but we loaded up and hauled home.

I fed the boys when we got back and shoveled out poop.  Barry's Billy Cook saddle's horn leather is coming loose so I will have to take that to Sam's Western Store and get it repaired.  I am hoping to ride Thursday afternoon...what a great Thanksgiving thing to do!  I have a wedding this weekend and Kellie and I have already planned a ride at Tyrrell for Sunday.  We are going to meet at 10:30 and have a picnic lunch out there Woot!!!!  Looking forward to it.

No comments: