Thursday, November 4, 2010

Lessons with Nicky

I texted Barry and asked him to go riding with me after work...and to bring Nick up from the pasture.  He said he didn't know any horses named Nick!!  I got to the barn and got out the fuchsia colored bridle that has never been used and my black saddle.  I groomed him and talked soft to him.  When I put the saddle pad on him he flinched hard.  Poor guy...he seems nervous and uptight.  I got him in the arena and moved the mounting block and he moved away several times and then I got him to stand still and I got on.  He kept wanting to take off before I gave him the signal.  I had to keep stopping him.  He was ready to GO GO GO.  I slowed him down and we walked and walked around the arena.  He would have zipped off had I not stopped him.  We trotted round and round and I would have to slow him down.  He was neck reining fairly well.  He would stop on whoa most of the time.  I was doing circles and figure 8's with him. 

I actually got him to turn on the haunches fairly well and we backed several times which he did just ok in this bit.  I think it will take awhile to slow him down but he is controllable.  He is only doing what he has been taught or allowed to do.  I groomed him again and picked up his left foot with no problem.  He has a problem with the right foot though.  I will keep working at it. 

I won't be able to ride tomorrow but will ride Saturday afternoon and Sunday we are going to the beach at 10:00 AM.  It is supposed to be Kellie, Susan, Esther and Allison and me.  Woot!!!!

Barry said he seems a little unsure and that it will just take time for him to trust us and get used to us.  I wish I had more time to spend with him right now but I don't.  Next week I am off two days but do have cakes.  I am going to try to spend as much time as I can but winter is coming on.  I am going to see about using the lights in the arena this winter and do alot of the walk trot jog stuff!

No comments: