Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Out on the trails and the arena

I trimmed Red's bridle path today and his whiskers. Barry brought Sarge up and we decided to give it a whirl with Sarge. I let him hear them and he sniffed them and then I tried to cut his mane and he pulled back and threw his head up. We tried again and let him hear them and moved them near his shoulder and up his neck and then he let me cut his bridle path. He stood there as quiet as could be and let me cut his whiskers. He kept trying to smell the clippers! I brushed his mane out - it was scraggly looking. Red's mane is growing out so nicely and getting thick looking. His tail is growing out at the top where he cut it just before and after I bought him. It is fluffy and curled up looking a the top.

Barry and I rode in the arena for a little while today and then hit the back trails at the ranch. We went straight down to the back and took a right. Red and I jogged down to the fence. The rideaway needs to be mowed - we trotted through the tall brush and half way through it was then mowed. We jogged all the way to the end. Barry was working on keeping Sarge still when asked.

We turned around and went back to the back and then all the way down the fence to the left side of the ranch. I tried to get Red to step of the big log but he wasn't too interested...he side stepped it. We went down to where the little fences are and Red stepped over that...clunking his feet while he went. We jogged down the right side of the ranch, up the middle of the paddocks and back to the barn. Barry worked in the arena a little more.

Red was damp all over his neck and chest!!! Sweat under his saddle and under his breast strap. It was hot but not super hot and there was a breeze blowing. Very nice ride! I rinsed Red off and plenty of sweat was coming out of his hair. I got his alfalfa and took him to his stall. We passed a bucket in the main barn and when we got to his stall he went to his feeder and then looked at me ... no feed. I had to go to the main barn and get his feed. I was DRAGGING hinney. I was TIRED from riding for a hour and a half or so. I also rode an hour plus yesterday and almost 2 hours Sunday.

Riding is so much fun. I won't be able to ride tomorrow - but maybe Thursday!

No comments: