Sunday, August 9, 2009

Sarge Comes Home


Barry and I went up to Buna to get Red today. Ray came bringing him out saddles up and ready to show us what he had worked on. He rode Sarge in the round pen giving us some pointers and tips. I think Sarge looked like he had lost some weight.

Barry is going to work on his spin, circles for corrections, backing up and checking his speed. Sarge was sweating to beat the band...I wish Red would. Barry rode Sarge and Ray gave him pointers on his seat and stopping Sarge and using his feet to back Sarge up.

Finally came time to try the trailer! Ray to Barry to lead him to the trailer that I had hooked up by that time, and told Barry to throw the rope over his withers and said, "Load up". Sarge went up the ramp, into the trailer and stood there! They set the butt bar and that was it. He backed him out on command and loaded him several times. That was a pleasure to watch and experience. Sarge has been such a patootie over that. Ray said that IF he gave me trouble about loading to pop him on the front legs with the buggy whip, put the whip up or down on the ground and ask him to load again. Ok...can do!

We hauled him home and unloaded him. Barry walked him around and asked for the load. Ugghhh....NO. He tried to come off the side of the ramp. Barry tried 3 times and still....uggghhh no. LOL Barry led him off and I got the buggy whip and stood there with him. Sarge got in the trailer immediately. Good BOY. Barry took him and lounged him and asked again and he was getting in the trailer pretty good. The last time I told Barry I wanted to load him. I walked him to the trailer and was pulling him to a stop and he tried to walk over me to get in. I said "Whoa! Back up back up back up." I told him wait for the command Sarge! I walked him back to the trailer, said "Whoa". We stood there a moment while I put the lead rope over his withers and then said, "Load up" and up he went. Good boy.

Barry took him to wash him off and I cleaned the nasty poop out of the trailer. He urinated in the trailer...ughhhhh....I will have to wash the trailer out this week. I got most of the poop out and then walked out to the wash rack. I had got really hot. I guess because I didn't have a hat on.

I got some alfalfa for my boy and went to Red's stall. He was standing in the stall (smart boy...he knows where to go when it is hot) and gave him his alfalfa.

When I went out there yesterday I discovered he had thrown his right front shoe. What a pill!

He threw all of his alfalfa out of his feed trough. One push sent half of it out and another push finished it off. Don't know what that was all about. I hugged him up - he smelled so horsey and just good!!!

We came home and I didn't feel so good. I got way too hot. I took a cool bath and put my PJ's on.

We are going to take the trailer out to the barn several times this week and practice getting in the trailer with both of the boys.

No comments: