Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Farrier Arrives












Reagan the Farrier came out this morning. I discussed Red's hooves with him. He said on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being rock hard hooves on horses in New Mexico Red's were a 7. He said he'd like to see a little more frog and hoof and we are gong to work on that. He trimmed Red's hooves shorter than the other farrier and backed the shoe from the front just little. I learned a little bit more about hooves!!!! Reagan's son walked Red out after the shoes were on so his dad could see him move. He instructed him to jump up on Red and Red acted like he rode bareback all the time! LOL He is such a good baby! Reagan said he was a nice horse - and that he is. What a sweetie.

Barry and I rode that afternoon. I couldn't get on this time by myself. Heck I couldn't even get my foot in the stirrup much less haul my butt on!! Christina and I went on a short trail ride around the back pastures. Red must have stepped in ants - he kicked his back feet several times. He did really good though. He was slow on the way out - and quiet the stepper on the way back!!

No comments: