Monday, March 16, 2009

Red's shoe comes 1/2 off What is up with that?

Barry told me he was going out to ride Red - I had been up in Jasper at a WM store and wasn't even to Buna yet. I told Barry I had to go to one more WM and then bake a cake for a consultation and then I would be out at the barn.

When I got out there Barry said that Red's left shoe was coming off! OMG what is up with that? I had him shod on February 12, he threw both shoes on the 24th, I had them put back on the 25th and now 19 days later the left shoe is coming off.

The shoe was still flat but twisted to the left and the hoof looked like it was wanting to break up about an 1" or so up the left side on the back part of the hoof....that is not a good thing. I picked up his hoof and looked at the shoe. One of the nails was half out and twisted. UGH.....

I called Margaret and she felt like I did - shoe needed to come off right then. I trotted off to find Edgar - hoping he could help me. I knew it was really to late to call Dan the Farrier. I found Edgar and asked if he could pull a shoe and bless his heart he said he would try. He followed us back to the wash rack where Red was and reached on top of the locker and took down a farrier hoof stand! I never noticed it there. He put Red's hoof on it and used a tool to try to pop off the nails. H worked on the other side trying to pull it off. He managed to get the long crooked nail out and then he was able to get the shoe off with the help of another man...don't know his name but it wasn't Sergio. I thanked him profusely.

The farrier that regularly comes out should be there tomorrow morning and I will be there. I hope that Red's hoof is OK and the side doesn't pop off. Margaret said to put the shoes back on him ... I am open to whatever the farrier suggests. I just want his hoofs to be strong and resilient.

No comments: