Saturday, March 14, 2009

Is is a cold and rainy day!

It is a nasty cold day out today. Raining and cold. UGH. Not a good weekend for riding.

I talked to Margaret today. She was truck hunting. I brought her up to date on Red's progress and told her I wanted her to ride him. I told her about his neck reining progress and his fussiness when he is hungry. She said he always knew it was race day when his food was 2 minutes late! LOL he is a funny boy. We are going to have to get together so she can give him a spin!

Barry and I went out to the barn around 3:00 PM. Barry didn't feel so great but I needed help taking the bale of hay out of my Rav. Red was out in the paddock and we were standing there talking to him. I went and got the bag of alfalfa and brought it out. He perked up for alfalfa. I opened his stall and let him in and started dishing out the alfalfa. It is the last in the bag so it was in pieces. I put almost all of it in his feeder. I gave the last little bit to Duke in the hay feeder and he was scarfing it up. Poor darling - he is a big, huge, boy and he looks a little sad. I think he is kinda scared of everything.

We stayed in Red's stall while he gobbled up his hay. I did tell Margaret today that he didn't seem too interested in the regular hay - she said that is because he is full and satisfied. That is terrific; he is gaining weight and looking filled out. I asked Earnest to give him the corn oil three times a day. I said a couple of tablespoons per feeding should be fine. I don't want to give him more than about 1/3 a cup or so.

Tomorrow is his 8th birthday and I tried to get him an oatmeal cookie at Starbucks when we went after leaving the stables. They didn't have any so now I have to make oatmeal cookies tonight for him. I think I have everything I need to make him some treats.

No comments: