Sunday, March 15, 2009

Happy Birthday to Red




Today was Red's birthday!! His is 8 years old today. I went to Starbucks and bought him two oatmeal raisin cookies and went out to the stables. Red was in his paddock and it was sprinkling. I called him a few times but he was "busy" nibbling his grass. Finally, he looked up and walked over...and sniffed my coffee! I took out the cookie and broke off a piece of it and offered it to him in my palm. He took it in his mouth and rolled it around...and SPIT it out!!! LOL Oatmeal cookies didn't interest Red at all! I ate part of his cookie and tried again...no...he is not a fan of cookies. His eyes tell me it is alfalfa that he wants!

He walked off and around the back of the stalls. I went and got him and we went over to the grooming shed. He was shedding like crazy. I went and got him alfalfa and let him eat alfalfa out of my palm which is a treat. I don't let him do that...but hey, it's his birthday! I used the Furinator to remove as much fuzz as possible. Curried him and used the stiff brush too. Hair was coming out by the hands full. I think in a few weeks he will be slick as a whistle. I got out the Hoof Flex and cleaned his hooves and painted them with Hoof Flex. His hooves looked a little better today but his frogs are peeling or something. The farrier is supposed to be at the stables in the morning. He didn't come last week so hopefully he will be there in the morning. I have to go to Jasper so I am going to stop there first.

Red looked like a million bucks after grooming today. I brushed his mane and forelock and he just looks terrific. I put him back in his stall and gave him a flake of alfalfa. I had said I didn't want compressed but this was VERY compressed. Red was having a to really "dig" in. Sergio brought me his bucket of grain with the corn oil and I put it on top of Red's alfalfa. To him, that was better than a birthday cake.

I gave him big sugar's and left. Barry and Devin both visited out there today and Christina and LeeAnn2 all gave him Happy Birthday wishes. LOL I know he couldn't care less but I sure am glad he was born and I am so glad he is mine now.

2 comments:

Heather said...

That is a spoilt creature, ya know it? He's a beauty for sure, and I'm glad he has you and you have him!

Denise said...

Heather, I had to change settings to be able to post! I am a newbie at blogging!!!

He is "pampered - not spoiled". Well, maybe a little spoiled but he is such a darling one can't help but spoil him just a little!