Monday, March 30, 2009

Red on a trail ride of 4 and wearing a helmet for the first time!!!

Today I asked Krystina to go riding and we made plans to go at 3:00. I got out to the barn and tacked Red up. Jeremy came by in a dump truck right near Red so I did move him but he acted like huge dump trucks always went by him. I took him into the arena and it was kinda hard to get on. He kept wanting to walk away. Uuuugghhhhh NOO..I would lead him back around and make him stand. When I got on I made him stand there. While I was trying to mount there was another horse just standing there (Lee Ann's Rogue), Krystina was cantering the Arabian around and around and in the other half of the arena there was a horse being lunged so I guess considering all of that he was pretty good!

Ms. Jean came and wanted to know where my helmet was...I don't have one but she loaned me one so for the first time in my life I wore a helmet. I will go buy one tomorrow at Tractor Supply. I don't need my brains bashed in. Better safe than sorry!

So, me, Krystina, Lee Anne and I go down the road - an Arabian in an English saddle, a Tennessee Walker with an endurance saddle, and a Quarter Horse in a Western saddle! We met up with another person, (her name escapes me at this moment) and she was riding her little Quarter Horse gelding in an Australian saddle! I wish we could have had a picture of all of us! The little Quarter Horse was spooking and looking like he was going to pop and was startling at everything. Krystina's little Arabian was full of beans and stepping high and spooking too. They all startled once like a chain reaction. I think Red startled to get out of the way....on the way down the road he acted like the water was Satin. LOL was a suck up to Margaret! Anyway, Red was doing pretty darn good but the little Quarter Horse was startling and spooking and she thought it was her windbreaker snapping. I offered my water bottle holder to stuff it in. Arabian started being a pill so they both got off and decided to walk back. Lee Ann and I were still on. Red was rearing to go - it was back to the barn! Lee Ann rode a little and then got off too when Arabian boy started having a hissy....Krystina said she should have rode Fancy!! LOL

Red was pretty good...I could feel he was ready to go though...his head was way up high which is not his usual position, his ears forward, he usually has his ears to me and he was stepping high too! He listened to me though, backing up when I asked. Stopping when I asked but he really wanted to pop off too! I rode him all the way to where the little Quarter Horse went and this was past the horses that were galloping around in the pastures. He was a handful but he did listen. I got off there and walked him back. We worked on good ground manners. Stopping when I said stop, backing up when I said back up, all the way back to the barn which wasn't far. He listened to me no matter what and I was very glad to see how well he behaved. He is a pleasure to be around. I groomed him and gave him a handful of alfalfa for a treat - his feed and alfalfa was waiting in his stall. I took his halter off and he bolted in his stall like his backside was on fire. What a chow hound!

No comments: