Monday, June 13, 2011

Trimming hooves

When I went out to the barn today and visited with The LeAnns and Mr. Gus and Ms. Jean.  LeAnn was giving the foal and her momma a bath.  That little filly is just precious...and she is a pretty good sized little girl too.  Nice big butt and broad back.  She is going to be very nice.  She was getting a bath and being a good girl about it.  She is handled on a regular basis so she will grow up to be a wonderful horse for someone. 

I then went and brought up Biscuit.  He and Sarge were under their shed to keep cool.  I walked Biscuit slowly up front.  My knee is not happy walking that far so I go slow so not to aggravate it.  I put him on the wash rack and brushed him and put Silvadene on his chest.  It was puckered up but not totally hairless.  Poor guy.  I wanted to look at his hooves but he was wanting to refuse to pick up his front left.  I insisted.  I trimmed his front hooves again....lowered the heel just a tad.  I got Lee Ann B's advice on that.  I am still unsure of doing feet so I like to have a second opinion!  I rasped his front feet and worked on his mustang roll.  I put thrush medicine in his frogs and walked him back down to the pasture.  I wish he was up closer - at least til my knee stops hating me.  I am going to put thrush meds in those frogs every other day until it is gone.  It came back so fast and chewed up his frog.  Gaaaa....that is nasty business. 

No comments: