Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Short Ride With Susan & repairing the Brenderup Plug

Another Trail Blazing Trip!!! at EveryTrail
EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking near Beaumont, Texas

Hay field off of Hildebrandt road with round bales neatly rolled up
Biscuit and I went for a short ride with Susan and Sababba yesterday.  I had a little trouble getting the trailer on the ball of my hitch....grrrrrrr.  I went to the barn and picked up Biscuit and dumped his feed in for him.  Loaded up my tack and took off for Susan's.  She'd called and said Sababba wouldn't load.  I got to Sue's house and took out my buggy whip.  Sababba needed no further instruction - she loaded up without a fuss.

We got to the park and Biscuit had dumped out a MOUNTAIN of runny poop.  I had to take him over to the hose to clean him off because he was so nasty.  His butt was covered with green watery poop and his tail was full of mess.  Too much alfalfa for him!!!  After that, I tacked up and we took off.  We went to the left first in the woods.  We walked while I was swatting away spider webs.  We went all the way around, turned around and went the other way!!!  I jogged Biscuit and Sue commented on how good my posture was (Thanks Sue!  That was so sweet!!!) and how good Biscuit was doing.  We got to the little under used trail and went down it.  Where we would normally turn left to go to the road we kept going straight.  A tree was felled that we could go under but there was a skinny tree/branch about saddle high right on the other side.  I had to pick it up and go under limbo style!  We went around to where the walking trail starts.  It shot off down another little narrow trail but it was seriously laced with spiders.  Gaaaaa.....we went out to the road and down and then back into the woods were we normally came out.  Under the downed tree and limbo limb again and jogged down the trail to the trailer.  We rode for an hour and a half and went 4.3 miles.  It was just plain old fun!!!

Sababba loaded up with no problem.  I cleaned out the mountain of poo that Biscuit unloaded during the ride and spread it around so it wouldn't be a big mess.  I hauled back to the barn and Craig was there.  I asked if he had time to do Sarge and he said yes.  I unloaded Biscuit to check his feet and he had a huge bruise on his heel that was not there when we took off at Tyrrell Park because I checked his feet.  Craig looked at it and said it was just a bruise.
Bruise on Biscuit's front left heel bulb

Front Right

Back Right

Back Right

Back Right

Back Right

Back Left

Front Left

Front Left

Front Left
I loaded Biscuit back up & went down to the pasture and unloaded Biscuit.  Sarge was at the water trough and he cantered over whinnying to Biscuit.  He was so excited when I put his halter on.  Poor baby thought he was going somewhere.  I took him out and set down his lead rope to tie the gate and he took off...thank God he stepped on his lead rope and stopped himself.  He easily loaded up and I hauled him to the front.  Craig trimmed his LONG toes in the arena.  OMG it had just been 6 weeks and his feet were so long!  Craig answered a zillion questions for me.  He uses a round knife too!  I LOVE mine.  He uses GE nippers and said they are great.

I noticed Sarge is started to rub his backside.  I patted his "junk" before we started the trimming and he dropped.  I looked at his urethra and I think he does have a bean.  He pulled it away and lifted up his leg...poor guy...I didn't want to hurt him with fingernails.  Bean will have to be removed.  That will be a chore as I don't think he has ever had it done.

I think my lights were not working for quiet a bit of my trip today on the Brenderup.  I have had problems with them working/not working/blinking.  I left Sarge in the arena and went to The Hitch Depot and they installed a new plug.  I left the trailer there and went back at 4:30 to get it.  It cost $43 and some change to have the new plug installed and it WORKS.  Yay!!!  My horses are safe!  I also stopped at Sam's and bought Electrolytes, bag balm ointment and a new Billy Cook mohair girth for Biscuit.   His little tiny girth doesn't have a d ring for a breast color and I think the guards that I put on it was what was causing him to get a gall.  Gaaa!!!  Don't want any of that!

Kellie texted me last night and told me Elan's eye was swollen.  It was drippy, snotty...yukky.  Doc came by to look at it and said it had a dent in it but wasn't cut.  Drops are in order and he may have a clogged tear duct.  She said it was better this morning and texted another picture.  I spoke with her this afternoon and it is much much much improved!  I am so glad for my little gorilla man.  










No comments: