Saturday, March 12, 2011

Riding The Biscuit

I brought Biscuit up to the wash rack and checked his feet.  I will have to give him a pedicure Monday.  I groomed him and he is shedding out nicely.  I tacked him up and led him into a corner so I could mount.  Biscuit is not calm in the arena like he is on the trail.  I wasn't even seated when he took off.   This time I was able to control him though and he later calmed down.  We walked and did circles.  Later jogging and trotting but he wants to speed up, he turns his neck slightly and is trying to turn his body sideways but it is almost like he thinks that is what he is supposed to do.  One of these days I am going to go talk to Mr. Joseph about Biscuit. 

He will side pass somewhat to the right but not the left.  He is totally confused about the left.  I watched Julie Goodnight doing an emergency stop by putting the left hand tight into the mane and pulling up with the right rein.  I practiced that a few times just in case I ever need it.  Wish I would have known that when I rode that horse that threw me. 

I rode for about 30 minutes and untacked him.  I took him over to the spa and asked him to get in.  He refused of course so I was going to trot him in a circle on the end of his lead rope.  I was popping him lightly on his butt with the end of the lead rope and he kicked out with his right leg.  I was near his shoulder but I don't think so.  I hauled him around and backed him up jerking down on his halter - I backed him up right in to the rail fence.  I think he seriously got the message. 

I tried to lead him back into the spa but he started pulling back and I let him go following him back.  Let him back up several times with him backing up.  LeeAnne B came in and lead Rogue in and he went in quietly and stood there.  We walked him out and tried Biscuit again and he pulled back...this time I sat back on the lead rope and he came forward.  Several times he pulled back and I leaned heavy on the lead rope and he came forward finally and walked in.  I had to turn him around and skinny up to the fence to get him actually into the pool.  I didn't want to get my Gypsy Boots wet!!!  I praised him and petted him and he relaxed.  Later I moved my hand to quick for him and he jerked his head up.  He is not super trusting and I think when he decides something is not good for him he can be pretty stubborn but I was able to overcome his objections and he did what I asked.  Don't know if he will tomorrow but we will see!

I took him over to the wash rack and cleaned his hooves and added the last of the meds to his sulcuses.  Hope the thrush goes away soon. 

No comments: