Monday, March 7, 2011

Trimming Biscuit's Feet

I went out to the barn today and pulled up The Biscuit.  It was overcast, windy, chilly and just plain yukky.  The wind seemed to be blowing from the east so the cold washrack was just that - COLD!  I took Biscuit into the main barn and tied him in the washrack.  Poor guy seemed a little nervous - he still is a little uneasy sometimes.   I went and got my grooming bag and my knife, gloves and rasp. 

I started currying him and he was shedding like a Yeti.  When I got through brushing and currying him there was a pile of hair that looked like I'd clipped a poodle!  He pooped so I cleaned up hair and poop.  I cleaned his hooves and he picked them up and handed them to me.  Good Biscuit! 

The LeeAnn's arrived around that time - they'd taken the aluminum trailer to a truck stop wash and acid washed it!  For $30 it looked brand new.  We went and got the stool and hoof stand and LeeAnn B's rasp because it has the handle on it.  I will have to order one!

We started with his front right.  His hooves were done 2 weeks ago by Darolyn and had grown some quiet a bit.  We rasped them just a little, I trimmed the bars.  There was some thrush funky smell.  I am working a learning to balance the rasp - LeeAnn P. is better with the rasp than I am but I can use the knife well!!!  We put his hoof on the stand and he was pretty darn patient considering 4 months ago this horse wouldn't even pick up a hoof!  A few times he tried to pull the hoof away but mostly he was a good boy.  LeeAnn B was holding hay for him and so he was pretty happy with that.

We did the back two feet and worked at shortening the toe just a little on the back left where he had had an abscess.  We put it on the stand 3 or 4 times and he stepped on it, pulled the foot down a few times, but we didn't have much trouble.  LeeAnn P was going to use the nippers but Biscuit wasn't too crazy about the noise.  I think the few times he had his feet done was with nippers only, his feet were whacked off and he was forced so nippers aren't his favorite.  There is no sense in upsetting him and making him go backwards - I want him going forward in his trust of me and his training to be a top notch trailhorse!

We did the front left with needed very little and then we shot some of the hoof ointment in his center sulcus.  One hoof seemed a little sensitive.  This treatment is supposed to get the thrush on the run and I hope so.

LeeAnn P said the soaking hoof bath is now ready and full of water with vinegar.  I will bring up both of the boys tomorrow and soak their feet.  The LeeAnn's and I are dedicated to making their hooves as strong and healthy as possible.

I walked Biscuit down to the pasture and Sarge was pawing at the fence and seemed to get his foot hung in the bottom line.  Thank God he doesn't have shoes on!   Sarge loves attention and he was calling to Biscuit or maybe to me - he gave Biscuit the evil eye when I put Biscuit back into the pasture so he'd move.  Then he turns to me with an angel face.  LOL  how can you not love Sarge?  He is so sweet!

Here are some pictures of Biscuit's hooves.  They are improving!!

Back Left March 7, 2011
Front Feet March 7, 2011
Back Left March 7, 2011

No comments: