Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Spa Treatment at The Ranch

Biscuit's Soaking Spa
I could be eating some of that grass over there if she didn't have me stuck in this spa!!
PRN Horse Spa
Sniffing the vinegar bottle
Checking out the drain plug
I went out to the ranch today to tend to the horses.  Lee Anne told me that Edgar has finished the Soaking Spa and it was ready to go.  They converted the former kennel runs into a hoof soaking spa.  As part of our natural living for our horses, they need to soak their feet every day.  Edgar made it all come together.  He put in two concrete rails in between the concrete dividers with a drain in one end.  Lee Anne P.  filled it with water and added a jug of vinegar - voila!  Foot soaking spa for the horses.

I went down and got Biscuit and brought him over the the spa area.  Lee Ann was soaking Torigue's feet so Biscuit was nibbling on the grass and walking around.  Finally it was his turn.  Lee Anne and I got him in the water with just a little bit of encouragement.  He stood there kind of bewildered at what these two nutty ladies were doing to him.  There was a bench over on the other side - very solid and heavy!  I went and got it and brought it over and Lee Ann and I sat and talked about horses, trail rides and of course, hooves.  In the mean time, Torigue and the young filly were flirting to beat the band and Mi Thi was screaming like a possessed witch.  Horses are so funny. 

Why am I standing here?
After Biscuit soaked for about 20 minutes or so I picked up his hooves and used the brush on the pic to rub the vinegar water into the frogs.  His feet look pretty good when they are soaked!  I took him to the cold wash rack and put the Neosporin/Lotramin mix into a syringe and then put it into his frogs.  We followed that with Desitin to water proof it.  Hopefully the thrush will be gone soon - with the vinegar soakings and hoof ointment we will have Thrush on the Run!!!

No comments: